Starting your own blog is easy!
Almost as easy has hitting the red Staples button – “that was easy!” Ok so maybe its a bit more work than that, but you can be up and running in 15 minutes if you’re focused on it.
My goal is to give you the steps needed to get your blog started as quickly as possible because I want you to be able to start sharing your thoughts, advice and random ideas with the world. If you’re reading this then you’re at least toying with the idea. The best way is to just take the plunge and start a blog.
I started this blog to share my thoughts on finance, getting out of debt, side hustling, budgeting and more. You can make your blog about anything you’d like! The most important thing you need to decide early on is will you ever want to attempt to make any sort of money (“monetize”) from your blog? Maybe for the first year you just want to write to your hearts content – thats great. But if after that you have thousands of followers and monthly visitors and you decide to add some advertising to your blog to make a little extra cash. In order to do that you need to self host your WordPress blog on Bluehost.
Step 1: Pick a blog name and website address
Decide on a name for your blog AND make sure the domain name you want is available too! Remember you’re looking to get a domain like JoesAwesomeBlog.com (you could get a free blog like JoesAwesomeBlog.Wordpress.org, but lets be honest the later isn’t nearly as easy to remember) You’re much better off with www.JoesAwesomeBlog.com. This means you need to “self host” your blog at Bluehost.
Step 2: Use WordPress
Use WordPress. Seriously, I wouldn’t even explore other blogging platforms. WordPress powers over 15 million websites or about 27% of the entire internet. Just about all the good blogs run WordPress and even some of the most well known websites in the world use WordPress (Chicago Sun Times, Walt Disney Company, TechCrunch, Best Buy, Fortune)
Step 3: Choose a hosting provider
Choose a place to host your WordPress blog. We recommend Bluehost. I’ve personally had experience using Bluehost and know that it is the best deal. Also, if you’re just starting out and you’re looking for ease of use I definitely recommend Bluehost.
Why should you start your blog with Bluehost?
- They already run over 2 million other websites so they know what they’re doing
- Their customer service is top notch, 24×7 and US based
- The pricing is great. You can start a blog on Bluehost for $3.95 per month or less
- There servers are in Utah and Utah is a great state (this may not be relevant to your decision making process)
What are the steps to start a blog with Bluehost?
Go to Bluehost.com and click “Get Started Now”
Choose the plan you want. The best choice is a 12 month Basic plan. This gets you a great price from Bluehost AND gives you a free domain for the first year (a $14 value!). If you want to save even more per month in the long run, then you could sign up for a 24 or 36 month plan for hosting with Bluehost.
On the sign up page you can search for a new domain through Bluehost (free with a 12 month or higher plan) or enter a domain you already bought at a provider such as GoDaddy or Google.
Step 4: Link your website to Bluehost
Note: If you bought your domain through Bluehost, you can skip to the next step
If you bought your domain from GoDaddy or Google, you can find instructions on how to point the name servers to Bluehost here.
Step 5: Install WordPress on Bluehost
You’ll get a confirmation from email from Bluehost and then you can login to my.bluehost.com to install WordPress. Installing WordPress is very easy, so don’t get intimidated. (Makes you wonder why they don’t just do it automatically for you!)
Here are the steps:
- Click “website” under “Hosting”
- Then click “Install now” under the WordPress section
- Now for the incredibly tough “one click install” – Click “Install”
- On the following page, select your domain and click “check domain”
- Read and Accept and terms
- Congratulations! You now have a WordPress blog on Bluehost!
Step 6: Start blogging!
There are many many great resources out there to help with the basics of using WordPress, but here are a few tips to get you started:
- Choose a theme. Here at Couch Cushion Cash we started with the Market theme from Restored316Designs.com which is a Genesis child theme. You can get Genesis for $59.95 and the themes vary in price on top of that.
- On the left side of WordPress is all the menu items. Click “Posts” and “Add New” to start writing your first blog post.
- Click “Pages” and then “Add New” if you want to add some more permanent pages like Contact, About Me, etc.
- Click “Media” to add images that you want available to use in your blog posts
- Click “Appearance” then “widgets” to edit items in the header, footer and sidebar